Duck and Cover! is the 14th mission in Destroy All Humans! The aim in this mission is to steal a nuclear weapon and escort it to an airfield and detonate it to destroy the airfield.
The mission begins with a cutscene with the Army testing out a Saucer-like aircraft. Pox then tells Crypto that they are testing a nuke nearby and that this could be their chance to destroy Armquist once and for all. Then the player makes their way to the testing site and hypnotizes a soldier to drive the truck into the airfield. Crypto then escorts the truck to the airfield by eliminating threats and blockages on the road, such as cows and landmines. As soon as the truck arrives at the airfield, humans will attempt to disarm the nuke but fail. Then Crypto has 30 seconds to escape from the blast radius and the player is rewarded with the scene of the nuke exploding. After the cutscene another one shows Armquist going to Capitol City (ordered by Silhouette) and Crypto's Saucer following his helicopter. Then the mission is complete.
- Go to the Atomic Testing Site (NO POLICE AWARENESS)
- Hypnotize The Driver (NO POLICE AWARENESS)
- Escort the Truck
- Defend the Atomic Bomb
- Escape the Blast Radius
Before the mission:
(Armquist arrives at the airfield)
General Jack: General Armquist! Good of you to come. Thought you might be too busy running damage control out in California.
Armquist: Never too busy to watch the Air Force fall flat on its face, Jack.
General Jack: Corporal Patterson: Let's show our guests what this bottle rocket can do.
(Corporal Patterson signals the aircraft for takeoff)
(The aircraft takes off and hovers)
General Jack: Vertical takeoff and landing! How do you like THEM apples?
(The aircraft falls and crashes with smoke emitting from it)
Armquist: That's IT? THAT'S your "ultimate weapon"?
General Jack: Patterson! Get over there and tell McGillicuddy to get that bird in the air right this second - or he's gonna be testing go-karts for the next twenty years!
Armquist: Forty million dollars for THAT?
After the mission:
(Armquist is in a building, talking to Silhouette, who is seen through a TV monitor)
Silhouette: Armquist! You want to explain to me why our troops are abandoning Area 42?
Armquist: They're not leaving, they're regrouping. Everything's under control!
Silhouette: Really. So the airfield hasn't been destroyed by one of our own nukes?
Armquist: It's that Commie spy from Santa Modesta. He got in somehow; messed with one of our experiments. Don't worry, I'll catch him!
Silhouette: That's what you said in Santa Modesta. Frankly, General, I'm beginning to question your resolve.
Armquist: Oh, I'm resolved, all right. That explosion was meant to take me out!
Silhouette: You're saying this "Communist spy" has a personal vendetta against you?
Armquist: Maybe you don't get the mindset we're up against -
Silhouette: No, no, General; I'm taking you very seriously. The president should hear this. Get back to Capitol City.
Armquist: I don't take orders from you!
Silhouette: In this matter, I speak for the president. You know that.
Armquist: Oh Majestic.
(Armquist gets in his helicopter and starts flying towards Capitol City, with Crypto in his Saucer close behind)
- If the player has police awareness (2 alert levels) on the 1st part then the mission will fail.
- If the truck is shot at or takes too much damage, then the truck will unsurprisingly detonate and fail the mission, with a humorous newspaper report.
- Even after the mission, the buildings stay nuked and destroyed (like most main buildings which have to be destroyed in other missions)
- The truck is very heavy and not even Crypto with fully upgraded mind abilities can pick up the truck.
- Be careful on the landmine part because the truck will carry on driving over them, taking lots of damage.
- For unknown reasons, the trucks explosion when it goes off in the airfield only destroys a few buildings but if the truck is destroyed before it is supposed to detonate, it will destroy all of Area 42.
- Although it is believed to be a nuke, it is actually an atom bomb, it is written on the bomb itself. Unless these bombs are the same
- An atomic explosion would never be that small.
- On the bomb it says 10,000MT meaning megaton (every 1 mt = 1 million tonnes of TNT) which would possibly destroy All the United States or even the planet. This could have been written on as a joke from the game producers.
- A nuclear device would be MUCH more guarded in real life as they are so expensive and hard to create.
- This is the 1st and so far the only DAH! with a nuke included and used in the game.
- This mission is favorited by most players.
- the aircraft that is seen being tested is based on the real life Avro Canada VZ-9 Avrocar a saucer-like hovercraft witch was test out out during the late 1950's.